This past Saturday was a a very busy day, we were hosting my mother in laws birthday dinner and then we were going to see my sister in law in A Chorus Line performance. ** She was absolutely amazing and I am so proud of her!!!!*** The one request that my MIL had was that I make my Stuffed Zucchini, which I love to make and eat so how could I deny her or me. I have made this many times and always say oh I could add this or that and yet I never do because it great just the way it is. This is a vegetarian version but you could easily add ground beef or turkey and make it a heartier meal.
Baking dish 9 X 13
- 6 med. Zucchini
- 1/2 sml onion, finely diced
- 1/2 shallot, diced
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 c fine bread crumbs
- 1 c cheese, shredded Parmesan or Cheddar or what ever you like
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c Panko bread crumbs *****
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil with the Zucchini for about 5 minutes, drain and cool
- Once cooled , lay zucchini down on a cutting board so it lays flat slice off about 1/2 inch down and reserve that zucchini, so that you can scoop out the inside of zucchini , I use a melon baller to scoop it out. Reserve scooped out pulp. Dice the reserved zucchini along with the pulp and set aside
- Heat a saute pan with olive oil and add shallots cook for 2-3 minutes then add sweet onion, cook an additional 3-4 minutes then add diced zucchini. Saute for 4 minutes or until the onions and zucchini are slightly browned.
- In a bowl slightly beat the egg and add 1/2 c of shredded cheese, salt and pepper and the fine bread crumbs; mix together then add zucchini onion mixture. Stuff zucchini with the mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
- Mix remaining shredded cheese with the panko breadcrumbs and bake an additional 5-8 minutes until cheese is bubbly and toasty.
**** I ran out of Panko bread crumbs making another dish for this dinner so the above picture does not have the Panko cheese topping just cheese***
What are your special birthday dinner requests?