Monday, March 8, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini, Birthday Dinner and A Show... Phew what a day..





This past Saturday was a a very busy day, we were hosting my mother in laws birthday dinner and then we were going to see my sister in law in A Chorus Line performance. ** She was absolutely amazing and I am so proud of her!!!!*** The one request that my MIL had was that I make my Stuffed Zucchini, which I love to make and eat so how could I deny her or me. I have made this many times and always say oh I could add this or that and yet I never do because it great just the way it is. This is a vegetarian version but you could easily add ground beef or turkey and make it a heartier meal.

Stuffed Zucchini 

Items Needed: 
Large pot
Saute Pan
Baking dish  9 X 13


  • 6 med. Zucchini
  • 1/2 sml onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 shallot, diced 
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 c  fine bread crumbs
  • 1 c cheese, shredded Parmesan or Cheddar or what ever you like 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 c Panko bread crumbs ***** 



  • Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil with the Zucchini for about 5 minutes, drain and cool
 
  • Once cooled , lay zucchini down on a cutting board so it lays flat slice off about 1/2 inch down and reserve that zucchini, so that you can scoop out the inside of zucchini , I use a melon baller to scoop it out. Reserve scooped out pulp. Dice the reserved zucchini along with the pulp and set aside

  • Heat a saute pan with olive oil and add shallots cook for 2-3 minutes then add sweet onion, cook an additional 3-4 minutes then add diced zucchini. Saute for 4 minutes or until the onions and zucchini are slightly browned.

  • In a bowl slightly beat the egg and add 1/2 c of shredded cheese, salt and pepper and the fine bread crumbs; mix together then add zucchini onion mixture. Stuff zucchini with the mixture and bake for 20 minutes.

  • Mix remaining shredded cheese with the panko breadcrumbs and bake an additional 5-8 minutes until cheese is bubbly and toasty.


**** I ran out of Panko bread crumbs  making another dish for this dinner so the above picture does not have the Panko cheese topping just cheese***


What are your special  birthday dinner requests?

2 comments:

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

I *love* A Chorus Line!!! Your zucchini looks great!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

modcom said...

These look fabulous, and stuffed vegetables work so well for these (still) cold days. Many thanks for the recipe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails