I am a big fan of comfort food, as you may have gathered from some of the recipes on this blog. One of my favorite comfort foods is pretty much anything to do with a potato really, because lets be honest they are just so fluffy and creamy and of course yummy! Now as a kid I remember my mother making this dish but mostly for special occasions and I can see why as it is a bit labor intensive. Now if you have mandolin its easy peasy, which I did, so this went by pretty quick. But it is oh so worth it with this creamy, cheesy bubbly goodness. I found this recipe on Food Network and pretty much followed it to a T, except some extra cheese for the top to get that crispy, bubbly, gooey, cheesy top.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Prep Time 15
Cook Time 1 hr 30 mins
- 1/3 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes peeled and sliced, 1/4 in thick ( I used a mandolin)
- 1/2 c. plus extra for top, grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/2 c. plus extra for top,freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- Grease the baking dish with about 1 tbsp of the softened butter.
- Arrange a layer of potatoes in the baking dish and sprinkle the cheeses over them. Continue layering potatoes and cheeses until you've used them all ending with a layer of potatoes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the salt and pepper; pour this over the potatoes. Dot the remaining butter over the top and sprinkle with the paprika. Sprinkle some more cheese on top to finish it off.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the potatoes are tender and golden brown on top.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Eat and Enjoy!!!