Some time last year or so I had wanted to join a CSA, we had a few local ones that I had heard/read about but I could never pull the trigger. See we live down the street from a farm stand which is great and known for its native sweet corn. My problem is I would go and get the same thing every week, corn, potatoes, zucchini, and maybe some non local fruit. Not much in the unusual department or "new" but if I joined a CSA I'd be forced to experiment and try new vegetables.
So this year I did my research and had narrowed it down to two... And then the choice was made easy by my brother in laws girlfriend ( ya get all that ) who works at our local hospital. I conveniently work across the street from said hospital. She received an email from the hospital saying that they were joining forces with one of my top choices of CSA's to be a pick up location. I was sold,we decided to split a full share with my BIL and his GF.
It works out great every Sunday we receive an email from the farm with the list of goodies for this weeks bounty, great for menu planning. Then on Thursday afternoon between 3-6 the farm sets up shop right on the hospital lawn and we go reusable bags in hand and pick up our bounty. They set up tents and display there goods, so anything extra you need you can pick up right there, and if your going on your 3rd week of turnips in your basket you can trade them in for say some sweet delicious corn easy peasy!
So this starts my weekly blog round up of our beautiful bounty!!
Week ones' bounty included:
Bag of mixed saute greens
Dozen farm fresh eggs
Homemade Blueberry Jam
Wow!!!!!!! So because this was week one we got lots of surprises!! They did say upon sign up that occasionally there would be surprises, and boy oh boy did they ever come thru week one!
Show offs ;)
The jam was to die for and with only 4 ingredients!!
Super yummy green onions and spinach.
I've been picking off the basil and got some more week 2
The strawberries were so fresh and juicy we ate them all in one sitting!
The greens mostly went into salads we were going thru a heat wave!!
And this is what you do at the end of the week when you need to make room for week two's bounty!!
Farm Fresh Frittata
( say that 5 times fast.. Pheeew! )
Heavy duty frying pan able to go in the oven
Pre heat oven to 350*
- 1cup or 1-2 Handfuls of spinach
- Leftover roasted potatoes, turnips and onions
- ( 6 smallish Yukon gold potatoes 1 sml onion, 2 sml turnips )roasted the night before @ 425 for 1hr ish...
- Cooked bacon, crumbled
- 6 eggs, I used 5 full eggs 2 egg whites
- Cheese, 1/2 c or so we love cheese so we definitely used more.
- Salt/ pepper to taste
- Heat heavy duty frying pan with oil and lay sliced potatoes, turnips and onions heat 3-5 minutes
- Then throw spinach on top, let wilt for about 2-3 minutes
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Add eggs, bacon and cheese and cook until egg almost set 2-3 minutes (no stirring)
- Place in oven until eggs are set completely and top is browned slightly.
Eat and Enjoy!!!